Monday, February 24, 2014

Discerning the Spirit

Galatians chapter 5 verses 22 to 25 are probably one of the most quoted scriptures by missionaries. I recall often referring to these scriptures as a way to help others to discern the spirit. As I studied the scriptures this time round, I noticed the preceding verses which described the opposite of the “fruits of the spirit”.  The contrast between these sets of verses amplified my understanding of the products of the spirit. When Brother Griffin told us to write a list separating feelings under the influence of the Holy Ghost as compared to feelings from opposition, my mind went back to instances when I felt the Spirit.
            I was reminded of the times when I was confident and peaceful. I wasn’t always sure of the outcome but I had that reassurance that things will turn out fine. But those feelings don’t always come and they tend to be special feelings. I have realized that there is moments when the Lord does not give us those exceptional feelings and lets us exercise our wisdom. It can be confusing and such confusion sometimes isn’t necessarily from opposition. The Lord just wants us to exercise that ounce of faith to trust him and earn those exceptional feelings when they do come. Elder Bednar has mentioned (and I paraphrase) that when we are good boys and good girls and keeping our covenants, don’t worry about when we are under the influence of the spirit or not. I have come to learn that the Lord will provide sufficient support and knowledge to help us to make the right decision. And even if we don’t make the best decision, He’ll help us to be successful.

            These verses in Galatians are so simple yet are so meaningful. It is especially interesting that it is a list of fruits that are all intertwined with one another. When the Spirit hits you, it comes as combination of feelings and desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment