Monday, January 3, 2011

Coco

I had spent most of my 2nd half of last december in thailand. Beach activities in krabi and thai city life in bangkok. One thing in common was that both places had plenty and plenty of coconuts. When we touched down in bangkok airport, we came across an ingenious dessert- coconut ice cream served on half a coconut husk with its flesh.
The scoop lady would scrape off the flesh on the husk before serving so there's no need to worry about flimsy spoons to do the job. It was really refreshing and coconut at its best. After having one, I had to have another as the portion wasn't that big. I tried to find this dessert in the main land but couldn't, apparently the airport seems to be the only place I know of that sells this dessert.

Although I'm not a coconut fanatic, going to bangkok has allowed me to appreciate this water-filled fruit. I deviced a way to best enjoy it there :D Previously, I used to drink up all the juice before I scratched off the flesh. Having the flesh last gets a bit jelat especially with no fluid left to down it, so thinking about how everyone loves to drink the canned coconut drink with its coconut pulp floating in it, I thought it best to grate the flesh into the drink itself. Using the thin metal spoon, i gently grated against the flesh to get thin pieces of pulp - ones that can be sucked up by the thin straw. Drinking it was coconut heaven. Imagine fresh, cool, sweet liquid with smooth thin slices of flesh sliding down your throat. Yes, that is coconut heaven.

Maybe I'm a bit slow in coming up with this way of drinking the coconut but I'm glad to have made that discovery. At least when I see a drinks menu next time, I won't hesitate to ever order a fresh coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment