Thursday, January 6, 2011

Longer hair

In the interview on Inside the Actor's Studio, Johnny Depp cited that he once "stupidly thought that when" his hair is down, he's "hiding" and "invisible". Although I don't share the exact sentiment, growing my hair to its current bowl shape,- the longest I've ever had my hair at- I do understand and somewhat feel that personal sense of security. While I was walking through the streets under the drizzling rain, I realised my hair didn't feel as soaked as it'd normally be. I know this sounds dumb but it's like my hair is this special helmet of protection. It felt as though my hair has become an integral part of my being which I greatly appreciate for its functionality and individuality it gives me. Having my hair at this length, has given me some personal space and probably, identity.

Nah, i'm not going to be emo and grow a long fringe to cover my face and expression. The point, however, is that I believe I can understand the value people place in their hair. I think I can empathise with people who've their long hair cut. It removes away their identity, their personal security- that's why some cry when that happens. Sounds superficial but consider this, superficiality has this special connect to substance and meaning. Why else do we place so much value in inanimate objects and symbols as reminders?

4 comments:

  1. Long hair wins! haha dude I started watching all the anime movies you recommended. have you heard of ghost in the shell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Type your name la! Lol I've no idea who you are even though I can safely assume you're my fellow armour mate (according to your blog). Which ones've you watched? Ghost in the shell is really good stuff, movies like iRobot and all were probably inspired from it. I didn't watch all the Ghost in the Shell movies..i think i saw the first one and then i got lazy and wiki-ed it haha btw, they're not in chronological order so it confused me a little at first. You watched studio ghibli films?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm NICKY! hahaha COMMISSIONING NEXT WEEK! :) my sister has all the studio ghibli films, remember? I didn't really like them, too many characters and the plots a little too distracted. I thought the first ghost movie was bland, but yeah could see how it inspired the matrix. summer wars! what was the website you watched it on HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap, i can't remember the website. Search over google and test them one by one..it'll take very long to load esp in OCS lol. i haven't watch anime in agees cos it's becoming a little too bland. I've no patience to follow a series anymore. Congrats on commissioning :D proud of you man! too bad i can't be there. Tell me your posting when you get it!

    ReplyDelete